Monday, August 21, 2006

Getting DVGRAB to just work

Despite previous attempt, I could not get DVGRAB to work unless I typed some magic words. Turns out I was casting the wrong spell.

The machine concerned runs FC3, and connecting a camcorder would create a entry at /dev/raw/raw1394. DVGRAB looks for /dev/raw1394, so I needed a fix. I had found a post somewhere that suggested an alias based approach, but this would not stick, needing to be invoked after each reboot.

I had figured out that this was all connected with UDEV, and google took me to http://www.linux1394.org/faq.php#udev, which I tried, but to no avail.

When I gave up the trial and error approach, I discovered that I was ever so close. My FC3 setup has the UDEV rules in /etc/udev/rules.d, so I moved the file I had placed /etc/udev/10-ieee1394.rules into rules.d and hey-presto, it worked.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home