Monday, August 21, 2006

Mystery solved : why MythFillDatabase does not just work

If you keep plugging away, you get the answer in the end. Ever since I rebuilt my first myth box, the option to have mythbackend run mythfilldatabase did not work. For ages I just lived with it, running MFDB manually. Finally I got fed up with that, and we were going away for a couple of weeks, so I trawled around and found a fix.

The fix revolved around configuring mythbackend to invokde mfdb with an explict reference o the grabber config file. Being an utter newcomer to linux et-all, I had trouble but I got it working.

When I cloned this set-up and added a second video source to the clone, it all went pear shaped again. The fix that I had applied made no provision for multiple sources, so I was back where I started; The second source would not download. I should have exepcted this.

Anyway, I stopped stabbing in the dark and actually looked at the problem. Turns out that my grabber config files were in the wrong place all along. Mythbackend runs under root, but it's home directory is '/' not '/root'. I don't fully understand why this is, but I am kind of new to all this.

So... I created a soft-link to /root/.mythtv and called it /.mythtv . I figure that this is less likely to confuse me later on. It also fits the pattern where I already had links the make the grabber config files appear in /root/.mythtv when they are actually in /home/mythtv/.mythtv .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home